MACKIE PROFX12 REVIEW

Posted on Thu 12 May 2011 in entries

Mackie ProFX12Well, I’ve brought you the Mackie ProFX8 review, so I thought I may as well let you know about the ProFX12 as well! Yes, I know they are both very similar… but the ProFX12 does offer a little more flexibility compared to the ProFX8, so I thought it was worth dedicating an extra blog post to…

MACKIE PROFX12 – INTRODUCTION

The Mackie ProFX12 is the step-up from the ProFX8, offering four additional inputs (so that’s 12 in total!) However, despite its added features, the ProFX12 is still very much a portable interface for the small performing act, solo performer or small venue (large acts that require more than 6 microphone connections will need to hook up to something larger), and is still available for a mouthwateringly low price! The Mackie ProFX12 essentially allows you to hook up all your gear into one easy-to-operate mixing unit and control the level and EQ balance between each, meaning that you can tune all your elements to work perfectly together in order to get the best possible sound from your performance.

Just like it’s smaller sibling, the ProFX12 also offers handy USB I/O connectivity, allowing you to easily record your gig or stream music from your laptop, which is useful to play songs during breaks when switching bands, for example.

Mackie ProFX12](https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/mackie-profx12-12-channel-mixer-with-fx.html)

MACKIE PROFX12 – LIVE AND KICKING!

Not the 90s weekend kids show with the annoyingly catchy telephone jingle... 01-81-811...81...81! Sorry if I've got that stuck in your head now! I'm talking about playing live! The chances are that if you are playing in small venues, you aren’t going to get a professional sound engineer. If you’re lucky, you may get an old man with a beard and no teeth that smells of stale cider and urine and claims to have once been the sound technician for Pink Floyd, who will crank up the volume on your guitar amp to an unbearably loud level, have a little dance on his own in the middle of the dancefloor, before scrounging £3 for the bus home and stealing your microphone… but most small bands don’t get this privilege, so they will usually have to assign their Bez-style maraca player to also double as the sound-engineer, or bribe their younger pubescent brother to come along with them to act as the sound guy, with the lie that ‘chicks will dig it!’ Whichever scenario you choose, you will require a mixer to get you through these tough times before EMI come knocking on your door!

The Mackie ProFX12 is the perfect companion in this instance. It features a wealth of professional features, from high-headroom mic preamps, to 3-band EQ on each fader channel, to built-in effects, and it’s small enough to fit into your brothers' Pokemon backpack and cheap enough to still have change for a Panda Pop!

MACKIE PROFX12 – CONNECTIONS AND CONTROLS

So what are all these professional tools that I’m talking about? Firstly, we have 8 fader channels to control the 12 inputs of the ProFX12. The first four of these channels control inputs 1-4 (in order), and the last four control the input pairs 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11/12 respectively. Each of the channel strips are equipped with a dedicated fader to quickly balance the levels between inputs (each ranging from -oo to 10dB), a mute button, a pan dial, auxiliary monitor and FX dials, 3 band EQ with ranges from -15dB to 15dB for the low-shelf (80Hz), mid range (2.5kHz), and high-shelf (12kHz), and a gain dial (with controls that are specific to the channels inputs). What’s more, the first 6 channel strips feature individual Low Cut buttons at 100Hz!

In terms of connections on these channels, as I’ve already mentioned, the first 6 strips feature individual microphone inputs (with impressive preamps). The first channel strip also has a switchable line/Hi-Z 1/4" balanced/unbalanced jack input, and a 1/4" jack Insert input (for connecting an outboard effect into the signal path). The second, third, and fourth channel strips all feature non-switchable line input jack connections with an insert connection and the fifth and sixth channel strips feature two mono line input connections each. The seventh channel strip (which deals with inputs 9 and 10) features stereo tape input RCA connections (with matching output connections right next to them), and two mono line input connections, as does the eighth channel strip.

Mackie ProFX12 (Front)](https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/mackie-profx12-12-channel-mixer-with-fx.html)

The Mackie ProFX12 also features two mono stereo return 1/4" jack connections, separate monitor and FX jack connections, two main out balanced/unbalanced jack connections and jack connectivity for a footswitch and headphones. Plus, it gives you a 7-band graphic equaliser to sculpt your output to the specific venue (with Main Mix/Monitor and bypass toggles), an effect section with FX Master, FX to Monitor dials and a dedicated Mute button, a USB section with a USB input dial and USB THRU button (more on this in a bit), separate headphones and tape level dials, a 48V phantom power button (allowing you to hook up condenser microphones to the ProFX12), handy 12 segment LED meters for each of the main output channels (Left and Right), a Break button to mute all channels at once (useful when switching bands and unplugging instruments), and dedicated Stereo return, FX return, and Monitor and Main output level faders! And finally, on the back of the unit you have a power connection (and switch), main right and left balanced XLR outputs, and that USB connection! Sorted!

MACKIE PROFX12 – EFFECTS

The Mackie ProFX12 features exactly the same RMFX (Running Man FX) 32-bit effects processor as the ProFX8I , with 16 useful effects, which are all selectable using a simple scrolling dial. To make your selections even easier, the effects section of the mixer features a numbered list with each effect next to a simple display, which indicates the number of the current effect you are using. This is an extremely simple yet effective way of structuring the effects section, and it allows it to be housed within a small, unobtrusive section of the mixer.

The full list of effects included within the Mackie ProFX12 is as follows: 1) Bright Room, 2) Warm Lounge, 3) Small Stage, 4) Warm Theatre, 5) Warm Hall, 6) Concert Hall, 7) Plate Reverb, 8) Cathedral, 9) Chorus, 10) Chorus + Reverb, 11) Doubler, 12) Tape Slap, 13) Delay 1 (300ms), 14) Delay 2 (380ms), 15) Delay 3 (480ms), and Reverb + Delay (250ms).

MACKIE PROFX12 – USB TINGS!

Although the Mackie ProFX12 can be used as a stand-alone live sound mixer, it also features USB connectivity for expanded functionality. All you need to do is hook it up to your laptop and your live sets suddenly have added flexibility. For example, you can really easily route your whole live set through the mixer and into a DAW in your computer and record the whole performance! Or, you can fill gaps during a break by routing audio from software on your computer (e.g. iTunes) back out to the PA speakers! It’s an incredibly handy feature to have at your disposal!

Mackie ProFX12 (Back)](https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/mackie-profx12-12-channel-mixer-with-fx.html)

You may also remember that I mentioned the ‘USB Thru’ switch earlier in this blog post. When activated, this allows you to easily incorporate any live performance software (such as Ableton) into your set-up, and record any sound coming from your computer with any instruments/mics that you have plugged into the mixer! This makes archiving your live performances easier than ever!

If you don’t own a piece of professional recording software, then you don’t need to worry as the ProFX12 comes with a free copy of Tracktion 3 Music Production Software, so you can get up and running as soon as you open the box!

MACKIE PROFX12 – SUMMARY

Its got a great build, it’s packed with pro features and it’s at a fantastic price! What’s not to like about the Mackie ProFX12? If your live performances will never require more than 12 inputs (6 of which are microphones), then you should definitely be considering the ProFX12… unless of course you require no more than 8 inputs, in which case you may as well get the ProFX8.

The Mackie ProFX12 offers fantastically clean sounds when used as a live mixer and this statement is backed up by numerous customer reviews across the internet. However, like the ProFX8, I did come across a couple of complaints about a high-pitched noise that was encountered when using the USB functionality of the ProFX12. The vast majority of reports I came across had nothing but praise for the ProFX12 though, and as I mentioned in my ProFX8 blog, we have never had a problem with them at Absolute Music.

I think that the ProFX12 has a number of features that sets it apart from its competitors, and it comes at an amazing price. If you are looking for a small live mixer, then you should definitely bare the ProFX12 in mind

Feel free to rate this blog and leave comments to let me and other readers know of your experiences with the Mackie ProFX12! After all, it’s not just my word that counts!

For more information on the Mackie ProFX12, click the link below or give us a call on 01202 597180.

Mackie ProFX12 - More Info/Buy

Click Here To Buy Mackie ProFX12

Mackie ProFX8 - More Info/Buy

Click Here To Buy Mackie ProFX8

******If you're interested in buying and you have seen it cheaper elsewhere, please call us or use our

As well as receiving our first rate customer service you can also claim money off your next purchase with our loyalty points scheme and receive a 3 year warranty if you sign up to our FREE VIP Club (click here for more infomation). Many of our items also come out on a FREE next-day delivery service to mainland UK customers, so you won't be left waiting!

Also, if you want to keep up with all our latest offers, competitions, news and videos, why not follow us on Facebook and Twitter?