New Roland Boutique Recreation of the TR-808, the World’s Most Famous Drum Machine.
Roland has just announced the new TR-08 Rhythm Composer, as the latest addition to the popular Roland Boutique instrument lineup. The TR-08 is a compact recreation of Roland’s classic TR-808 (hence why they chose today, the 8th August, to launch it!), one of the most influential drum machines ever made. Built with meticulous attention to detail, the Roland TR-08 combines the sound, look, and feel of the TR-808 with enhanced features and modern reliability. And with its affordable price, the TR-08 puts the legendary “808” vibe within reach of anyone who’s ever dreamed of owning the iconic original.
Produced by Roland in the early 1980s, the TR-808 Rhythm Composer is one of the most revered and sought-after electronic musical instruments of all time. While only modestly successful when first released, adventurous musicians and producers of the era slowly began to embrace the instrument’s distinctive all-analog voice and creative hands-on interface, fueling the emergence of multiple music styles. The TR-808’s sounds helped shape and define the hip-hop, electronic, and dance genres, and the instrument’s vast influence on popular music continues to this day.
The new Roland TR-08 accurately recreates all the ingredients that make the TR-808 so special. Roland’s Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology fully realizes all the sonic details and quirks of the original hardware, modeling each analog circuit right down to the component level. And the interface, though scaled-down in size, is 100-percent authentic, with all the buttons, knobs, and switches found on the TR-808.
The Roland TR-08 also adds some modern enhancements to the classic TR-808 formula. The sequencer has 16 sub-steps per step, enabling users to create detailed snare fills and intricate, rolling hi-hats. There’s also a track-selectable trigger out for working with external instruments and modular gear. An LED display enables finer control of tempo and shuffle, and it’s now possible to step program or tap in parts in real time without stopping to change modes. In addition, the TR-08 sends and receives MIDI control messages, and supports audio and MIDI over USB.
Like all Roland Boutique modules, the TR-08 is extremely portable, and runs on USB bus power or batteries. It also includes a built-in speaker for monitoring the sound in mobile situations, and comes with a DK-01 Boutique Dock that allows users to adjust the panel’s viewing angle.
- Ultra-compact recreation of the legendary TR-808 drum machine
- Retains the sound, character, and user interface of the original TR-808
- Hands-on control including tone, level, tuning, and decay
- Added Compressor, Gain, Tune, and Pan for selected instruments
- Programmable via classic Step and Tap write modes
- Sequencer has 16 steps with 16 sub-steps for detailed patterns and rolls
- Continue playing beats even while switching between write modes
- LED display for easier navigation and fine control of tempo and shuffle
- Ten separate outputs via USB audio
- Dedicated, track-selectable trigger output for controlling external instruments
- High-quality construction with metal front panel
- Highly portable for mobile music making
- Includes DK-01 Boutique Dock for multiple-angle viewing
- Battery-operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
- Built-in powered mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional Roland Boutique accessories