FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 PREVIEW

Posted on Thu 28 April 2011 in entries

The Focusrite Control 2802 sounds like something very special… a small analogue recording console and a DAW control surface all built into one. This description immediately draws me in, as it is exactly the sort of product that I would like in my studio. Why? Because I’m greedy and crave the best of both worlds! I want the flexibility of a digital control surface, allowing me to easily manipulate my plug-ins, effects, and DAW controls, but I also think that there is something extremely refreshing about being able to perform a true analogue mix on your recordings! So, although I haven’t been lucky enough to use the Focusrite Control 2802 yet, I wanted to find out more about it for myself, and thought I may as well let you in on my findings in the process!

FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 – IT’S AN ANALOGUE RECORDING CONSOLE

Let’s start with the analogue features of the Focusrite Control 2802 shall we? To start with, the 2802 includes eight pristine extra-high bandwidth Class-A microphone preamps, allowing you to hook up microphones and record amazingly clear signals of… well… whatever you want! Then there is the powerful summing mixer capable of handling up to 32 simultaneous inputs with ultra-low distortion, excellent dynamic range, and a frequency response wider than the human ear… so that would be larger than about 3.5cm then! Haha, get it, get it? I tell you, with hilarious wit like that my talents are wasted here… or maybe not! :s Plus, the Focusrite Control 2802 also features a punchy master bus compressor with parallel compression (a form of upward compression) so you get a pure analogue way to control the dynamics of your mix.

FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 – IT’S A DAW CONTROLLER

The Focusrite Control 2802 can be used to control every major DAW, so you should have no excuse not to be able to use one! Plus, Focusrite’s Dual Layer Control Technology allows you to switch from analogue fader layer to DAW layer in an instant, so you can immediately go from balancing a live analogue recording to controling your DAWs faders, auxes, plug-ins, automation, project navigation, etc, and then straight back again if you so wish! The Focusrite Control 2802 gives you ethernet-based control, so your favourite music software is always at your fingertips.

FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 – THE CONTROLS

Each of the 100mm faders included on the Focusrite Control 2802 are fully motorised, which is exactly what I wanted to hear! This makes switching back and forth between analogue and digital modes completely hassle free, and the fact that their movements can all be automated means it is easy and innovative to adjust DAW channel auxes, inserts and groups within your DAW via a HUI (Human User Interface).

The Focusrite Control 2802 provides four multi-function encoders that can be used to control DAW parameters of your choice, whilst an OLED screen keeps you up to date with detailed information on what your control changes are doing. Also, I have just learned that the ‘O’ in OLED stands for ‘Organic’. That’s one to make a note of if I ever attend any geeky pub quiz nights!

As you will probably expect from a DAW controller, the Focusrite Control 2802 also features a selection of dedicated transport controls (such as Stop, Play, Record, Rewind, and Fastforward buttons, and a Jog dial), meaning you can spend less time staring at a computer screen like a zombie, and more time concentrating on getting your mix just right.

FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 – TIME TO TELL YOU SOME MORE…

Rather than writing out paragraphs about all the other cool features that the Focusrite Control 2802 offers, I thought I would make a little list-type thing (the official term!) That way, you can skim through and pick out the features that interest you, without having to wade through the clutter of my sentences! So here they are:

• The Focusrite Control 2802 features channel inserts and direct outputs from anywhere in the signal path. This gives you a HUGE amount of flexibility when working with mixes.

• The stereo mix bus compressor is patchable across other channels, or is extendable as the Focusrite Control 2802 offers external compressor connections on the back.

• The 32 inputs of the Focusrite Control 2802 include 8 analogue channels (switchable between mic, line and DAW), 8 alternate inputs with gain and pan control, 8 summing inputs arranged in 4 stereo pairs, stereo FX and auxiliary returns, and main and DAW mix stereo returns.

• The Focusrite Control 2802 features exceptional monitor control, which has been taken straight from a large studio console. It features a range of monitoring options, including solo, polarity inversion and mono listening modes.

• If analogue patching is what you are after, then the Focusrite Control 2802 will still be right up your street! It provides you with a whole host of routing options, and even includes six auxiliaries to complement the stereo mix bus.

• It’s nothing less than I would have expected from a product with this many features, but if anyone was still wondering, then ‘yes’, of course the Focusrite 2802 features 48V Phantom power for working with condenser microphones!

Each channel of the Focusrite Control 2802 features individual 6 to 60 dB gain controls, as well as phase reverse and high pass buttons!

The Focusrite Control 2802 features a dedicated stereo cue bus, which allows you to adjust headphone mixes quickly and easily. Plus, you have the option of selecting pre or post fader, or selecting alternative inputs to add 8 channels to your mix!

The Focusrite Control 2802 features 10-segment fast-acting LED channel meters for the input or output of your analogue channel strip, or your DAW returns.

• The Focusrite Control 2802 features a 3.5mm stereo jack input with dedicated gain control, allowing you to compare mixes from your portable music device quickly and easily.

FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 – SUMMARY

It’s not been a very long blog post, but I haven’t used this product yet, so I can’t bring you any of my opinions on it. If I remember, when the Focusrite is released in June 2011, I will bring you a little update :)

I think that the concept of the 2802 is brilliant though and I really hope it lives up to my expectations… although I wouldn’t expect there to be any problems from a respected company such as Focusrite.

From what I can make out, the Focusrite Control 2802 really could be the ultimate in proving the best of both the analogue and digital worlds in one compact mixing console, and in a modern studio, you really can’t ask for more…

For more information on the Focusrite Control 2802, click the link below:

Focusrite Control 2802 - More Info/Buy